Thursday, November 25, 2010

East Ocean Restaurant



If you are in the mood for some old-school dim sum, East Ocean is the place to go to.
Inside a bustling restaurant, with old waitresses carrying trays of dimsum, hawking them to each table. Full tables, minimal decor. No frills. Just the noise of chatter and clatter of chopsticks.
Probably just like in Hong Kong.

Food here I would say, some are hits while others are misses. There are so many items on the menu that one would be really spoilt for choice!

Here are some that we ordered which I would recommend

Carrot cake. Moist and tasty

I am not a fan of almonds but the almond crusted prawns were delicious.
Little fried crispy balls with a big plump fresh prawn.
Yum.

Lotus leaf rice. Really huge portion and great for sharing. It was nicely done but I prefer Crystal Jade's version. Much softer in my opinion.


The roasted pork here was decent though my heart still remains with Imperial Treasure's version. 

Now the salted egg yolk custard bun was AWESOME.
I am a huge fan of "liu sha bao" and when I see that golden custard liquid just flowing out, I get all happy and giddy. The ones at East Ocean were just about perfect; sweet custard with just that hint of saltiness. Ahhh. 

The egg tarts here were great as well! Small little golden delights :)

My friend swears by the char siew shou here and he was right. These were the best that I had. 
Flaky buttery pastry enveloping the sweet red char siew.
Nicely done East Ocean.

Of course we had other dishes which werent so great. So maybe going to East Ocean for the first time is like a gamble. You never know which item you choose would be good.

One thing to note, the prices at East Ocean are surprisingly high. Given the crowd and the rowdy atmosphere, I would actually prefer going to Imperial Treasure paragon instead for dim sum.




East Ocean Teochew Restaurant
1 Scotts Road Shaw Centre
#02-18
6235 9088

No comments:

Post a Comment